This is the top 10 movies coming in 2016 that I am most excited for:
(All dates are Australian release)
- Captain America: Civil War – May 6 – As a massive Marvel fan and the follow up after Winter Solider, all fingers point to this being another great Marvel movie. Not to mention the inclusion of Spiderman and Antman’s first Avenger experience.
- Rogue One – December 16 – The idea of having a new film set in the timeline of the original trilogy really excites me. As someone who never completely connected with the original trilogy, the possibility and a modern version of Vader makes me extremely excited for this film.
- Assassin’s Creed – December 23 – My favourite video game franchise is finally getting a movie. While in the past video game movies have failed, the in game Assassin’s Creed story is one I feel can be present well in the film medium.
- Deadpool – February 11 – My two favourite genres are comedy and superhero film, and what better to bring the two together. If the marketing is anything to go by, I could soon be rating this movie up with the humour of movies like Step Brothers and Borat.
- Doctor Strange – November 4 – The introduction of our first magic superhero into the Marvel universe has my eager to see this. After reading the Infinity Gauntlet comic book, I really enjoyed the Doctor Strange character. The inclusion of Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange is a great bonus, I can see the Sherlock type attitude playing really well into the universe.
- X-Men Apocalypse – May 27 – The original X-Men trilogy never connected with me, however the new spin with First Class and Days of Future Past made me really enjoy this franchise. I’m excited to see more of what this cast can give me.
- Suicide Squad – August 5 – I’ve always preferred Marvel films in comparison to DC films however the idea of an all villianous squad has me excited. I’m not completely sure what to expect from this film but from the trailers it looks like a film that could possible get me on the DC film squad. Whilst the introduction of too many main characters is a reason why Batman vs Superman isn’t this far up the list, I feel as though the Suicide Squad character would work best as a straight up group rather than introducing each villain over a large section of films.
- TMNT 2 – June 3 – As someone who really enjoyed the first one, and from the positive reception of the trailer from some TMNT fans has made me want to see this more and more. The inclusion of Steven Amell also has me excited however I hope that his Arrow persona is lost and Cassy Jones isn’t just the same character.
- Ratchet and Clank – April 29 – For a film that has been rumoured for so long, I finally get to see what this finally gets to see what this film presents.
- Batman vs Superman – March 25 – As mentioned for Suicide Squad, I’m not much of a DC film guy. But how can’t you be at least a bit excited about Batman vs Superman. The reason this movie is so low however is because only one of the two main characters has an establishment, and lets face it, Man of Steel didn’t get the best reception. This idea of having to learn about this new Batman while having to deal with his beef with Superman, the introduction of Wonder-woman, Aqua-man and The Flash and still fight the villain of Doomsday really makes this film feel cramped. I feel as though DC are trying to play catch up with this film and trying to form the Justice League as quickly as possible.
Honourable Mentions To:
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Sausage Party
- Now You See Me 2
- The Jungle Book
- Zoolander 2